About the team:
This role sits in the Global PR team, which sits within the Global Marketing team. We are a team of strategic and creative thinkers and doers, responsible for getting audiences around the world to connect with our brand and product. We work across key global markets - including Malaysia - delivering global and regional communications programmes.
You will be in Sarah’s team. You can get to know her here.
The role in a nutshell:
We are looking for an integrated PR specialist who already has experience working in the Fintech/Crypto space to drive our communications programme in Malaysia. Candidates coming from an agency background should have experience working in the corporate or government affairs team with an understanding of the regulatory landscape in Malaysia.
It would be advantageous for candidates to have some experience of working in a regulated industry and/or working [or partnering] with government affairs/public policy teams - either in house or in agency.
Working closely with the global PR team, the Malaysia Country Manager and local marketing leads, you will be focused on shaping the Luno Malaysia industry viewpoint - centred on safe and secure investment driven by education. Primarily, you will be responsible for driving media engagement in the market to position Luno positively in earned media spaces and will be expected to directly manage media relations with top tier business, financial and trade press. You should have a strong sense of what makes content newsworthy and will be able to identify proactive opportunities to tell stories that continue to position Luno as the leading crypto app in the market. You will also be able to build paid media strategies to complement and support the earned media activity.
Working as part of an integrated marketing team, you will also be expected to have an understanding of Luno’s owned channels and will be able to work alongside the marketing and countries team to support community engagement through development and implementation of strategies to increase engagement and activity
This role would suit an ambitious candidate who enjoys a fast-paced, dynamic environment and is looking to develop their integrated communications experience.
Your mission will be:
- Build a Malaysia PR programme that ladders into the Global PR strategy and centres on Luno’s belief that safe and secure investment is driven by education
- Manage the local press office, handling and responding to media queries promptly and professionally working with the central PR team. This includes:
- inbound media requests, proactive media outreach, distribution of company news announcements and crisis communications/issues management
- Create compelling copy for both owned and earned media including pitches, media alerts, press releases and opinion pieces
- Build new, and maintain existing, relationships with a broad range of Malaysia based media to support our communications objectives, including business, technology, fintech and personal finance press.
- Act as a strategic sounding board to the global PR team and local countries team providing consultancy on the best approach for localised PR activity including the localisation of global plans and PR toolkits for effective delivery in the market
- Develop and execute a local communications strategy for markets on a half yearly basis to include key milestones and product launches as well as other ongoing high impact activity e.g newsjacking and thought leadership
- Working closely with the central PR and marketing team for global alignment, you will lead on local strategy to build executive profiles in the organisation via both owned and earned channels, This will include
- Developing thought leadership platforms and talking points for regional execs
- Create an earned media programme including interviews, podcasts, byline articles whilst being on the lookout for reactive commentary opportunities
- Build a speaker and events programme
- Use earned media pieces to support the content calendars for Luno owned channels
- Develop and implement strategies to increase community engagement and activity on local community channels
- Monitor and track media coverage, reporting on a quarterly basis, or as required
- Manage a PR agency on an ad hoc project basis as required
A little about you:
- A minimum of 5+ years PR experience either in house or at an agency working in the crypto/technology/fintech space
- Understanding or experience working in a regulated industry and how that fits into external communications planning
- A strategic mindset with the desire to drive and own the Malaysia communications programme for Luno
- Enjoys responsibility and the challenge of getting things done to really drive the success of PR in Malaysia and demonstrate how it delivers measurable results
- Experience working in or alongside an integrated marketing team and understand the role of PR within the wider context of marketing
- Proven experience delivering effective and innovative PR campaigns as part of wider, integrated, multi-channel media campaigns
- A strong understanding of both the crypto and financial media landscape and have good relationships with a broad mix of media (e.g crypto, fintech)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a knack for simplifying complex topics
- Confident in crisis communications and issues management
- Experience working in a fast-paced business where things move quickly
- On top of the latest trends in the PR and communications industry with a curiosity to explore new tools and tactics that will help to keep our PR activity fresh and relevant
- Strong attention to detail, with Good written and verbal communication skills in both English and Bahasa Malaysia
Life at Luno:
- Forward-thinking and ambitious team that values diversity, hard work, and the continuous quest for excellence.
- Remote but reachable work policy gives you the freedom to choose between working from home or the office.
- Improve body and mind, with excellent private medical insurance.
- Access to Learnerbly and Code Academy
- Generous maternity / paternity and even paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Annual Inspiration Day.
- A collaborative, friendly work community, with regular social events
- Free lunch and snacks.
- Free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
- 0 fees with Luno from the day you start.*
*Offer only available on Luno Instant Buy, not Luno Exchange
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.